January 7, 2010
Follow-Up: What's Your Plan of Action
I recently came across these statistics about how frequently sales professionals follow up with their prospects. When I read this, I was shocked:
• 48% of sales people never follow-up with their prospects.
• 25% of sales people make a second contact with their prospect and then they stop.
• 12% of sales people make three contacts with their prospect and then they stop.
• Only 10% of sales people make more than three contacts with their prospects.
• 2% of sales are made on the first contact with a prospect.
• 3% of sales are made on the second contact with a prospect.
• 5% of sales are made on the third contact with a prospect.
• 10% of sales are made on the fourth contact with a prospect.
• 80% of sales are made between the fifth and twelfth contact with a prospect.
If you are a part of that 90%+ who are not adequately staying in touch with prospects you probably have a myriad of reasons why you are unable to do so. And those reasons are probably not because you don’t know that you should. You’re probably not following up with prospects because:
1. You don’t have the time.
2. You don’t have a system.
I was totally shocked at the first one - 48% NEVER follow-up with prospects? Whatever were they thinking? Perhaps that people were sitting around waiting to be contacted and then jumping at whatever was offered to them? Without knowing the person, without developing a relationship? Oh my, that's so hard to believe!
Sounds to me like 2010 should be the time for a change if you don't have a system in place! If you need help in developing a system, contact me. As a Netweaving/Networking Coach this is one of the first areas we explore as we are developing our plan of action. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask!
Your comments and thoughts on this subject are welcome. Please post your comment(s) below!
To Your Networking Success!
Carol Deckert is a Networking Coach and the Netweaving Expert for Group Coaching Mastery. She's the founder of Referrals Unlimited Network, has more than 8,300 first-level connections in LinkedIn and approximately 1,000 “friends” on FaceBook and more than 4,000 followers on Twitter! Carol knows you do need the numbers before you can accumulate quality connections, because not every connection will be a good one for you. Through her netweaving work, she helps others learn to do what she did, save them lots of time and heartache, by teaching them how to network efficiently and effectively. Contact Carol on Skype: Deckert1116